This sheet’s got character #OccultDetectiveRPG

A day late, but I did promise my Twitter followers a look at the current status of the Occult Detective RPG Character Sheet.

Here’s the primary stat sheet. Each ‘kith’, gets an additional sheet that covers their specifics.

odrpgcharactersheet6

For a closer look, here’s a downloadable pdf odrpgcharactersheet6.

This is the current playtest version of the Preternatural kith sheet.

preternaturalcharactersheet

As I’ve said, we’re making great progress on the nuts and bolts of the game and the graphic design elements are coming together.

My son Connor has been invaluable in this beast’s creation. He’s got a lot of great ideas and a knack for spotting logistical issues. And his playtest character is pretty slick.

Anyway, I’ve begun writing the core book and hope that by this time next year we’ll be able to get a killer version of this into your hands.

Happy Hallowe’en…

Advertisements

To dream, perchance to game #OccultDetectiveRPG

I had an odd dream a few nights back. I was dreaming about OCCULT DETECTIVE: The Roleplaying Game. Not the first time its happened, and each time it has, a breakthrough inĀ  game design has been the result. This time is no different.

As recently revealed, we have settled on three character types, roughly akin to ‘races’ in other RPGs I suppose, but altogether different too.

lcDefining these ‘player character types’, Naturals, Preternaturals, and Supernaturals, were a real breakthrough in the game, but I knew there was something off with it, something I wasn’t seeing.

My son and I had a few talks about it and we worked on tweaking the character sheet to reflect these changes, but it just wasn’t coming together.

Then I had a dream.

In the dream I was at a horror writers convention being held in what I can only describe as an abandoned water works plant. There was lots of steam and spraying water, puddles everywhere… but I was giving an OD:TRPG character creation demonstration to these writers (I won’t name drop, but I consider most of them friends and chances are you know the majority of them) and passed out character sheets to them.

One of the authors commented that he had the wrong sheet. I went over to check and saw that it was a Natural Character Sheet. That can’t be right, I thought, but looking around, there were three separate character sheets, each geared to a specific ‘type’.

writeitWaking up, I realized, that was the trick to making the character sheets work. Three separate ones. Of course, after work, when I went to tell my son about this Morpheus inspired breakthrough, he had had a similar thought.

So anyway, we’ve thrown out the old sheets, and this week, we’re designing not one but three new character sheets.

Admittedly, I still have a mountain of text to write, but the charts, diagrams, and rules are all pretty close to being cemented. It’s now down to the polish.